This is something even a teen can make . All you need is a rice cooker and :
1. 2 cups of white rice , washed
2. 1cup of each : finely chopped onions , coarsely chopped carrots , and seedless raisins
3. 1teaspoon of each : salt , turmeric powder , crashed garlic , cumin seeds , and paprika
4. a dash of black pepper
5. 1 bay leaf
6. 2 cups of chopped green onions for garnish
7. 2 tablespoons of olive oil
8. 1-1/2 cups of rinsed canned red kidney beans or black eyed peas
Put rice in a rice cooker . Follow the manufacturer directions on how much water you have to add .
Add all ingredients on the list above , but the green onion , and give it a gentle swirl with a wooden or plastic spoon .
Set the rice cooker on quick rice and walk away .
When done , gently move the rice onto a dish , taste it , add more salt to taste if needed , add all green onion , and gently mix it in .
Taste great alone or with a side salad and flat bread .